YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HEALTHY BODY AND HEALTHY MIND – BUT ARE YOU FORGETTING THE HEALTHY VOICE? YOU MAY BE MISSING THE FITNESS BLINDSPOT!
You use your voice every day – but probably don’t even spare it a thought, let alone train it! Sally Prosser, a voice coach and proud member of the InspireCycle community, shares her top five ways you can take control of it (and it’s a lot like how you ride)!
- Sally says… Check your mindset
- Your real voice is a megaphone for your inner voice, so ensure that little voice inside your head is giving you a serious pep talk.
- TOP TIP: Imagine you’re wearing Victoria Secret Angel Wings – it will keep your shoulders back and give you a sense you can fly (and look sexy AF).
- Sally says… Learn good technique
- Setting up the bike correctly and checking your posture helps you get the most out of your ride. Voice is the same, especially when it comes to breathing. Breath fuels your voice – are you going around speaking on almost empty?
- TOP TIP: Breath comes in = tummy goes out. Breath goes out = tummy goes in. Try it now – you’re probably doing the opposite.
- Sally says… Put in the hard work
- No getting out of hard work. Just like you can’t walk out of one InspireCycle class and declare yourself fit (usually, I’m declaring myself dead..) you can’t just train your voice, and that’s it. If you want to speak with credibility, confidence and charisma you have to work at it.
- TOP TIP: Every morning in the shower drop your jaw like a scream in a silent movie, then blow raspberries. Believe me, you’ll feel (and speak) better!
- Sally says… Apply it to real life
- InspireCycle training would come in handy if you ever found yourself peddling for electricity or something like that, but generally the fitness applies to everyday things, like getting up a flight of stairs easily or owning the D-floor (wine helps with that too). In the same vein, if you train your voice you’ll be more effective in every single speaking scenario in your life – not just public speaking, but stuff like introducing yourself or even making an important phone call.
- TOP TIP: Talk out aloud to yourself! By practising what you’re planning to say, you can focus more on the delivery when in the moment.
- Sally says… Enjoy the feel-good factor
- You know how after InspireCycle you think ‘damn, I’m glad I did that,’ well your voice has the same ability to release endorphins – especially when singing!
- TOP TIP: Sing in the shower, sing in the car, sing in the street! Shake off your inhibitions and let your voice OUT. OMG it’s so liberating!
Love + Light