WORKING OUT IN A ‘MOTIVATIONAL PACK’ MIGHT JUST BE THE KICK YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR! BEING A PART OF A GROUP WORKOUT HAS MORE BENEFITS THAN YOU MAY HAVE ANTICIPATED…
Group exercise is on the rise as the new ‘IT’ girl of the workout world. Not only is a group workout seriously engaging and inspiring, boutique fitness studios have also made it possible for you to see serious health benefits.
- Taking it up a notch
- Increased commitment – Working out with a crowd carries incredible benefits that include enhancing consistency, endurance, conversation and inspiration. No shows get noticed by others and positive peer pressure can help eliminate the urges to skip a workout … or quit. Plus one study found that 95 percent of those who started a weight-loss program with friends completed the program, compared to a 76 percent completion rate for those who tackled the program alone (and the friend group was also 42 percent more likely to maintain their weight loss).
- Competitive edge – One reason why you may push yourself harder when others are grunting alongside of you is the innate competitive streak in all of us. Group workout settings can lead to a positive competitiveness. For instance, wanting to keep up with those around you can make you push yourself harder than you would on your own. One study found that people who exercised with someone who inspired them increased their workout time and intensity by 200 percent.
- Capitalize on endorphins – Group workouts can have mental advantages over solo workouts. While it’s true that working out releases endorphins, a group setting can lead to the release of endorphins outside of just physical exertion. Did you know that smiling has been shown to increase endorphin levels in studies? So when you’re in a great class or with a great bunch of people working out, that kind of positive energy can really make you feel happy. An added benefit of this mood boost is that when you’re pushing yourself hard through more difficult parts of your workout, you’ll feel more energised to complete the exercises.
- Accountability buddies – There’s a bond that is created when a group struggles, sweats, fights, and grinds their way through a tough workout. When a group works out together, they can gain a sense of camaraderie, because everyone is there for the same purpose and the people they see each week in a group class eventually become their family and want to see them back each week creating accountability.
InspireCycle is all about community, and helping you reach your goals in a fun, supportive environment – can’t wait to see you in one of our studios!
* Story taken from NBC News here *
Love + Light